Search & Win

Thursday, July 21, 2011

When Worlds Collide: Thyroid vs. Fibromyalgia

Ugh...today is one of those days where my thyroid symptoms and fibromyalgia flare-ups meet for a 10 round match.  Most days I just have symptoms from one or the other, but today I was blessed with both.  Yesterday was a good indicator that I'd wake up as weak as I did.  I have felt completely drained the last few days, despite mostly staying home in the A/C and not having the energy to do much besides rest. 

My arms and legs feel  like heavy noodles.  I know that does not make much sense, but if you have fibro, you understand.  I have never had to wonder whether or not I was able to walk without falling before.  Trips to the grocery store require that I push the cart so I don't wear out too fast. 

I had to drive 51 minutes one-way to Kendallville this morning to do some things, then back to Columbia City for shopping.  Even with cruise control and A/C in the van, it was a long and miserable trip.  Not because of the heat, but due to my light-headedness and exhaustion. 

I only ended up making half the stops for errands that I had anticipated getting done today.  I despise days like today...they make me struggle a lot emotionally, which is tiring in itself.  I miss being independent and "able-bodied."  I get myself through so many days telling myself, "just get through today,...tomorrow WILL be better."  More often than not, it's not much better...but hey, whatever works, right?  :)

I try to make the best use of my energy bursts.  Days like today don't result in much getting done. My thyroid is making me hyperthyroid again, after being hypo for about a week.  I am bouncing off the walls on the inside and want so badly to get up and do something...as I usually have a hard time mustering motivation.  But, the pain of the fibro makes me want to be as still as possible.  Every movement and every vibration run all the way through my body and makes everything ache.  The fibro makes me want to sleep the aches away, yet with my thyroid is in hyper-drive mode, I can't relax enough to take a nap.

Although it will mean a slight financial sting, I am glad that Hubby decided to take the day off.  Our forecast is predicting 101 degrees actual temp, with a 120 degree heat index. Hubby works in a very hot foundry where the temp inside is always 20 higher than the temp or index, which ever is higher.  I would rather go without material possessions than go without my Hubby.   Several others on his shift called in as well, knowing that sometimes you have to sacrifice and know your priorities.

While talking about the temp, I would like to note something I came across on Facebook:  "I was going to complain about how hot it is... then I realized that at least: 1.) it isn't 119 degrees; 2.) I'm not 5,700 miles from home; 3.) I'm not dressed in a full BDU uniform and helmet and carrying 70+ lbs.; and 4.) there is very little chance that anyone will shoot at me or that I might drive over a bomb in the road today! Re-post to thank all who serve!!"  I will not complain about the heat because even in my current condition, it could be so much worse!  I could be there!  I was raised to ALWAYS support your troops, even if you don't agree with the government's choices.  These men and woman volunteer themselves to protect us and our freedoms...we need to all acknowledge them for their willing sacrifices.

2 comments:

Edith said...

You have such a positive attitude. Sorry you are having so much pain today. Glad Hubby is home with you. Hope you can rest tonight.

Ms Mayhem said...

Thanks, Edith...I worry about my attitude and perspective with it at times. I'm glad it comes out and across as me being positive. :) Just keep reminding myself that our Lord is the one in control of it all, not me, and He commands us to have faith in Him.