Search & Win

Friday, July 22, 2011

Do I Get Your Paycheck for Doing Your Job?

I had been trying to give the ENT surgeon's office some credit, since they have not overly impressed me much throughout this...aside from the surgeon's skills, which are absolutely awesome!  (Other than that, I feel they lack most foundational people relation and customer service skills.)  I know "mistakes" happen, but I have to wonder why they always have to happen to ME!  Here I sat today, five days before surgery, and no one had called or mentioned my pre-op blood work.

I called the phone nurse and she looked for proof an order had been sent to the hospital or directly to me, to no avail...since no order had ever been written up!  I feel that I have done more of these people's jobs than they have sometimes...except the surgeon, of course.  I can't dog on the man who is about to slice my neck open for the second time!  :)

I got a letter from Hubby's insurance stating that the pre-existing condition clause had been trumped by my previous state insurance health coverage, so they are now approving and paying on the bills.  The down-side of this is that I have now accumulated $10,000 in debt from co-pays, deductibles, and what-not.  So much for getting my bankruptcy to clean up my credit, huh?  Lol!  I am looking into grants and other ways to get these bills paid, especially with this second surgery coming and it being even more expensive than the first.  I have a donation link set up on the right side of the blog, and have received a couple donations (thank you!!!). Every little bit helps and is very appreciated.  Of course, all received funds go towards medical expenses that are not covered and not eligible for grants or forgiveness programs.

I am considering re-applying for state insurance, since I'm not working because of the fibromyalgia, but that requires me to change doctors and I spent over 5 yeas trying to get an open Medicaid slot to get with him this time.  I dread finding another doctor.  My previous one diagnosed my fibromyalgia, but refused to give me anything to help with the pain. I don't want to go through that again.

Another hurdle conquered today was getting help with my prescription for Cytomel. I will take this for 4 weeks following my surgery.  I won't be able to take my Synthroid (thyroid replacement) for 6 weeks post-op so that my endocrinologist can so an uptake scan to check for any remaining thyroid tissue.  Via his phone nurse, the endo has said that I can get the uptake scan to check and not have the RAI as long as everything looks well on the scan.  After that, we will just monitor my cancer antibodies with blood work.  Any increases = no more putting of the RAI.

The family and I have lots of happenings on this hot, humid weekend.  A birthday party for cousin-in-law's son in Huntington, followed by my best friend's birthday cookout on Saturday.  Sunday consists of church in the morning and another cookout with my "adopted brothers."  I've known them since I was 3, so they are the closest thing I have to brothers.  I told them I wanted a "therapeutic cookout" before my surgery, so they obliged and threw one together.  :)  Hopefully I can stand the heat.  Today, I still hurt, but it's coming and going.  Not quite as weak, but still pretty achy.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend, but remember to stay cool and keep a good eye on neighbors, kids, and outdoor pets.

2 comments:

Janice Engle said...

I look forward to your updates. I may not make a comment every time, but I like reading them and getting encouragement by reading them. You are very up-beat. <3 I'm so glad our Lord knows the "ending" to our stories... Don't you? I have so many stories in my life that don't have an ending yet, so I trust in the author of my life... Believe and trust that He loves me SO MUCH that there is a good ending. If it ain't good, it ain't the end. LOVE YOU!!

Ms Mayhem said...

I like comments, but of course, do not require them. :) I am glad you find them encouraging and up-beat. I don't always feel that way, but guess that is just our Lord coming out through my words. And you know I know all about a lot of stories...lol! I need to get myself to sit down and just write a book, but need to pin down one part of my life for it first. Oh, have you seen my articles, Janice? You would like them...some about when I got pregnant so young, as well as how I got through other struggles in my life. Love you and thanks so much for always loving me over the years!